Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2nd baby class

Tuesday night checked baby class number 2 off the list. We got a tour of the birth center at the hospital. Apparently it was a busy night for the birth center but the whole floor felt really calm and relaxed. They showed us all the rooms had to offer and explained the process we would go through upon arrival. It all seemed simple enough to figure out, but it was nice to get the tour and have an image in mind of where the birth will be. Those beds, showers, and tubs can do amazing things. I couldn't believe all the positions the bed could contort itself into. It was fun to see how the bottom third of the bed can be lowered down to the ground and the squat bar put in over it. You can raise the back of the bed up to meet your back and inflate the built in lumbar pillow for extra support. It is amazing to think of the options we have now that weren't available even when I was born.

The videos weren't nearly as traumatizing as I expected them to be, but I really didn't need to see that much "stretching" up close and personal. It was nice to see a labor process from beginning to end. Obviously we didn't watch it in real time, but we still saw little bits of each stage along the way. Neither one of us were really scared off, so I guess that's a good sign. We're ready to take it on when the moment arrives less than 3 months from now!

We also practiced more breathing and massaging :) I feel a little bit like Zach is getting cheated in that part of the class, but then I remember that I am carrying about the baby the rest of the hours in the day. So, I don't complain about the massage, and I don't feel too guilty for enjoying every minute of it :)

I had my glucose screening this morning for gestational diabetes. I don't have my results yet, but the fasting before the draw really messed me up. They tell you to eat every 2-3 hours when you are pregnant, but then tell you not to eat anything for hours and hours, and then drink a nasty sugar solution, let it sit in your stomach for an hour, and then they draw your blood. Bluck! I was supposed to work afterwards. I went and got something to eat, then went to work for about 45 mins, but my blood sugar was just thrown off too much and I was gagging and woozy so I came home to rest for the rest of the day. I'm still not really feeling 100%, but I'm sure I'll be back in action tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment